Wednesday, March 20, 2013

And the end is all I can see...


He has been caught, and is sentenced to death. 
My long quest is nearly over. 
I know not who he is, or from whence he came, but my search to find his identity, is nearly over.
As is his life. 
Everyone has abandoned him, his colleagues, his countrymen, his God. 
He is alone. Truly alone. 
No one will hear his confession-
No one will save him-
He dies with a bottle of brandy in his hand. 
He, being the only one to remain faithful to his beliefs, yet also a great sinner,
and tries to make a solitary confession.
He cannot repent. He cannot say much of anything. 
I watch him there, praying earnestly for his young daughter. 
Brigitta, oh Brigitta....
He has spent so long running from the law, 
so long on the run from those who wanted his life, 
and yet has not accomplished much of anything.
He must feel as if his life has been a failure.
I wonder if he briefly has considered renouncing his faith, and escaping the terrors before him.
But then I remember the story of Jesus weeping in the garden, asking that His cup be taken from him.
And I know he will not give in. 
No he will not. 
He has dedicated his life to become like Jesus, and as much as he would like to, I know he will not give in.
He has no need to regret, unless regretting missed opportunities in life,
and perhaps that he is going to meet God:
"empty-handed",

“Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.” 
― Shannon L. Alder


3 comments:

  1. I like how you gave your post a very poetic vibe. It's contemplative and consisely stated, but each thought sounds beautiful and expresses the percieved emotion the author thinks the priest would have. I thought it was pretty accurate.
    trabajador bien.
    y que es con ese meme??? PORQUE????
    nessecito calmarte, hermano.
    (I'm gonna need you to calm down, bro)
    ;)
    yay...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good in itself Lindsey. It really is well written while being informative on what's going on at that point. However, it doesn't follow the reporter guidelines so I'd be careful about that, less the Dyrvik takes points off. Other than that, great poem typeish story :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Rachael- the meme says "Youre just jealous because I can play violin"...or something along those lines :P Its really rather ridiculous considering you open "Limdsey's English Blog", and are greeted by a Spanish message hah. :)
    And Calebe- The point of the post was to give a dramatic ending, including the journalists near dissapointment that his quest is over. Also including the emotions of the priest as he prepares to die. It was difficult trying to capture someones emotions through the eyes of another, so I wrote it in this format.

    ReplyDelete