Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Simple Room... Simple Words. Simply Simple.

After the whiskey priest had left the Lehr's residence, I questioned them fully. They simply spoke about their disapproval of Catholicism, and allowed me to take a look about the room where the he spent the night. It was simple, two brass bedsteads, a single chair, and a wardrobe. The room looked nearly monastic! I chuckled to myself and inwardly thought, "How appropriate". The only thing about it that seemed different from a monastic room is the fact that the there was no cross hanging on the wall above the bed. However, sticking out from one of the drawers I uncovered a small artifact. It was a Bible. It was surprising to find, considering it was a banished item in Mexico right now. A dangerous item to be had for sure. 
I opened the book to find a list of texts. It read as follows:

If you are in trouble    read    Psalm 34
If trade is poor                 Psalm 37
If very prosperous               I Corinthians, x, 2
If overcome and backsliding      James I. Hosea xiv, 4-9
If  tired of sin                 Psalm 51. Luke xviii, 9-14
If you desire peace, 
   power and plenty              John 14
If you are lonesome
   and discouraged               Psalm 23 and 27
If you are losing confidence
   in men                        I Corinthians, xiii
If you desire peaceful 
   slumbers                      Psalm 121


It was surprising to me really. And I wondered what on earth must have gone through the priest's thoughts, as he held a Bible, probably not having held one in a great deal of time. It surely was not a beautiful Bible, with its ugly lettering. That must have been unusual for a Catholic to see, what with the fancy Bibles he must have been used to, and the illustrated pages. He must have been shocked by the blandness of the Word of God. 
Another thing I noticed was that the answers to the people's emotions were so simple, so easy to find. Dating back to the era of William Tyndale and before, the Catholics have frowned upon the common man coming to God by another means besides the intercession of a priest, and have also believed in the past that the Bible should not be available to the common man. It would not surprise me if some of these ancient traditions still get passed down to today's priests. 
I closed the book after pondering it for a time, thanked the Lehr family, and rode off in search of this priest. 
The whiskey priest.




No comments:

Post a Comment